Wednesday, September 19, 2007

WORK = When Outcomes Result from Knowledge

During a conversation with my mentor, I happened to mention how work was getting repetitive/routine and no longer exciting.

His response "Work is never exciting. It is what work results in that's exciting." He continued on with:

WORK = When Outcomes Result from Knowledge

This made me wonder... doesn't it mean that we should constantly look at increasing our knowledge base? Gaining and using knowledge to better the output constantly, a passion to improve... and suddenly it seems like work can never be mundane or routine! for we will always look at different approaches to better the outcome time and again.

With knowledge, its easy to take risks... rather the confidence levels are higher to manage risks. I may fail, and yet that's an experience I gain to add to my knowledge base.

It is only when I limit my knowledge, that I limit myself from bettering an output. This most times is the cause for "Work is no longer interesting."

And of course, there are some (specially in the Govt. offices).... I have loads of knowledge... but sorry - I don't intend to use it! It's not going to get me anywhere. And those who do want to apply their knowledge feel humiliated and miserable.

The flip side to this may be underutilization/inappropriate use of available knowledge. For example, one may have an excellent knowledge in financials but may end up getting into some really manual/basic work with rigid processes that cannot be changed. Such a situation again calls for "Work is not challenging enough." This seems to stand true with most MNCs that are setting up their offshore offices in developing nations like India....

Of course when you ask someone to increase their knowledge base, the response almost always is "You want me to spend money and enroll into classes? Yeda samajh rakhkha hai kya (Am I a moron?)..." Its not always about enrolling into courses or training programs... it is about reading books, it is about learning from your own experiences, it is about learning from the experienced souls around you (as someone once rightly pointed to me... I have about 35 years of experience in this field, you can take this from me and add another 10 years of yours making it 45 years of experience altogether... why do you want to reinvent the wheel!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful...there is so much of truth in yr statement.....although we never consciously think abt but all said is very true...atleast gives a self realization.....prakash

Anonymous said...

Very introspective...I am a true beleiver in doing what you love..but knowing what you love is rather a difficult thing to do...I'm still in the search!

-- Anne

Anonymous said...

very well written.

Heres my take :
1) Work is the same word with different meanings when used as an activity or used as a result.
2)A life without passion is a life not lived. Passion is sincerity to yourself in enjoying doing that "work, activity, thing". And that can be anything that gives you that feeling of fullfilment and purpose